Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dos a Cero, 2-1, and 9-5

Well its another  "rivalry week" on ESPN-ESPN2. What was special about this one? Well for all you football fans USA played mexico in the final round of the World cup Qualifying. Now, some may have no clue what this means. I'll try stress TRY to explain it. Well there is one group and 10 game I believe you play each team twice in a home and home series USA and mexico are by far the favorites to qualify. The top three teams who finish with the most points, 3 for a win 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss, move one to the World Cup in South Africa 2010. So like most USA mexico WCQ (World Cup Qualifiers) tensions were high and mexico had yet another head coach. The USA had a usual line up with: Howard in the net, Frankie Hedjuk, Gooch, Carlos Bocanegra, Heath Pearce, making up the back line. Demarcus Beasley, Sacha Kljestan, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey making up the Mid. Landon Donavon as an attacking mid and Big Brian Ching up top.

The game started out strong. Mullen and I were quite worried because mexico got behind our backline and should have scored but as Pat Foley would say it "GREAT SAVE!" By Timmy Howard. USA had chances too but Oswaldo "dirty" Sanchez was too much for the USA. It seemed the game was up in the air and was going to be scoreless going into half. Until a Beasley corner that went past the goal a brilliant move by Donavon to put it back in the danger area to Gooch to head it only to be blocked by a diving Sanchez but only to fall to Michael Bradley to blast it into the old onion bag. Now I was screaming my head off and was quite calm but that big grin fell across my face. I yelped out a few "WOO HOO HOO's!" And got back to business. 

The second half Marquez, the mexico captain took a cheap shot at Timmy Howard and deliberately tried to hurt him. No argument there that punk was sent off. Mexico for being a man down played great d but the USA didn't do too much until the 2nd minute of stoppage time. A good pass by Jozy Altidore (subbed in for Ching) that sent Mikey busting up the middle to take a brilliant shot that dipped right under sanchez into the back of the net. A clutch goal yes.  A few altercations after the game happened but minor. Frankie Hedjuk a mans man in my opinion. This guy is 34 missed 2 world cups to knee injuries busts his ass in every game and although he plays for the Crew he is one of my favorite players to watch. Well anyway he was jacked up because 1. He is on the National team. 2. Looked like he was playing hurt but that wouldn't stop him. 3. It was a USA mexico WCQ game and 4. He was the home town hero playing in Crew Stadium. But the surfer boy Hedjuk was running around screaming "Fuck Yeah" hahaha not a great choice of words but I'll allow it. A player on the mexico side slapped him on he face. Really a slap? Hedjuk said it was a "love tap"and said it was no problem because players held the mexican player back and Hedjuk went about his celebrating.

Well the 2-1 part of the title is the score of Ireland-Georgia game. I must give Georgia credit they were beating Ireland 1-0 in the second half when I turned it on. Also, these poor guys couldn't play at home for their WCQ games due to the conflict between Russia and Georgia. But Robbie Keane got a 73rd minute goal and a 78th minute penalty to win it. 

Another Wednesday and it was going great Ireland won USA won and Indoor soccer. Our team is kind of a "rag tag" team kind of thrown together at the last minute. My thigh has been feeling quite tight lately and I probably pulled something in weeks past but I was in little pain that I could play it off. During warmups I knew it was gonna be different I couldn't shoot with out it hurting. Of course its on my right leg (shooting leg) So mid way through the game I felt pain and walked off. Came back on for a power play passed it to Travis and I knew something was wrong. Travis netted the ball but I knew this was bad. I limped off but still wanted to play but I could barley kick it. Our goalie you is quite talented tall skinny just the perfect dimensions to play in the net. He told me I could play net so we wouldn't be down 2 subs the whole game (mullen was out due to Duke-UNC game) So I played goal the second half. 

I thought I did quite well I would get into a Peter Schemichel crouch with my hands ready at the side knees bent ready for anything. I felt like I was back on the volleyball court ready to keep the ball up. But I think i was doing great blocking shots and diving. It did play a part on my leg but it wasn't bad. I let is a couple of goals 2 of em were redirected by our defenders (no fault on them just happens in indoor) and one was a handball in the area so its an automatic goal. One was a great goal on their part it hit my head but still a good goal. 

It felt good to play goalie I was by their bench and the frat boys kept trying to get into my head saying I was fake limping and I kept getting lucky. My favorite was "look at the dork bending his knees" What that means I have no clue but I know I played a good game and plan on playing it some more in the future because last night I would wake up in terrible pain due to the legski. But sorry for those who don't like football and indoor soccer. But for some reason I am drawn to it. Why idk maybe its the team effort, the passion that fans and players have, or just something I grew up with. But I kept telling people that USA mexico was the biggest game of my life. Now, I am not on the team but I am on the team? I support the Nats (national team) no matter what. If that means wearing all red on wednesday head to toe (which I did) then I will wear all red. Alright this is too long so I will leave you.

Thought of the Day: What would you do if somebody tried to hurt you in a sport?

No comments:

Post a Comment