Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Punky Chips Ahoy! Oi Oi Oi!

Alright so I am blog challenged still SO WHAT!? Well my last blog was kinda long about my excursion into Champaign Urbana. But Guess shwhat? I deleted it. Also, I am too lazy to re write it so I am gonna babble about what has been running through my mind for the past couple of days. That competitive edge I thought I lost. Just so happens we joined a indoor soccer league team name you ask, "A Few Good Men" I think its hilarious. But anyway the first game was a tough loss we had 5 good men 2 of which have some soccer experience, Mullen and myself. Mullen scored, Travis scored, I netted a goal. But we were no match for the feckin Delts. The frat just kept pouring subs onto us and we had no shot. the score was 5-3 but the last 4 minutes we couldn't move. I nearly threw up.

Walking back to the dorm just reminded me of all those volleyball practices that I know and miss so much. I remember a couple of times throwing up after em just from going balls out the entire times. SIDE NOTE! For some reason while doing sports I tend to relieve my stomach, ie Cross Country. But if there is one thing I miss most about Marist its probably that 08 volleyball team. I played on Attack during the club season with Keith and Dave and we become really close. Keith and I could just read each other so well mainly because he covered 90% of the court I just backed him up. But nothing beat high school season for me nothing. 

The 2 a days were my favorite. Why? I have no clue I loved to practice before then go again after it was great. I had Modern World issues mod A and would sleep through it but I didn't mind I knew the stuff anyway. But let me just tell ya aboot (Yes, I said "aboot") Game day. For me there wasn't a single most important day of the year except game day. I considered and was called an intense player. My game day rituals were nuts. I would go to the pre game meeting we usually had against formidable opponents, go home sleep for an hour/fill up on gator ade, and here is the weird part either take a shower at my house or school (usually school) then when it was about time to warm up I would brush my teeth, I had to I would feel like we would lose if we didn't then we would warm up and harass people running through the halls, when it was time to go out I would just sit and stare at myself in the mirror. One of those stares where nothing mattered around you and you thought of nothing. I would do this for a couple of minutes and then I would be so motivated it freaked me out. 

Honestly I can write a book about Marist mens volleyball just because it means that much to me. I would put 1,000% of effort into everything and was heart broken when it ended that I didn't want it to end. But I still have the memories, and even better shot at getting my old teammates a state champion medal. For a couple of months all the babys (juniors who are now seniors) have been talking to me because we were all a close knit group. And some have been worried about this year which is natural, some were worried about not being team captain, the regular stuff I went through. Well, I was a captain and I was very proud of it but it really doesn't mean anything. Anybody on a team can lead. and I know everybody on the upcoming team is a leader. Even little Garret Dempsey, Sophmore. I wasn't by far athletically talented or the biggest or the best but I tried the most I tried to, in practice get the "second" team or as we called ourselves "team two scrubs" to push the ones team. So that they would be better. I remember Pat Feltman looking dead because he never could be switched out he was our only middle. But if any of the Volleyball team is reading, at this point nobody probably is, kil, Listen up good boy, because you always have the ability to be a leader. You have 50-75 points a game to be a leader no matter who your playing. When I was playing I would think I 8ft tall because I would try to make so much noise and act like a hard ass all the time. Really, I am a big coward who hates confrontation. But thats the beauty of it, don't let the other team affect the game you should. You should want the ball every time on serve receive or you should want to get set even if you put the ball in the net or in the block 10 times in a row.  It's easy to feel sorry for yourself but turn it around and feel sorry for the other team because your gonna bounce the next one.

Ok I went on a huge rant there and I apologize but what I was going to say was I enjoy helping the guys out so much. I am maybe more excited for them this year than I was the last. I love having Mike Flavin text/call/Instant Message me saying woo hoo hoo, I would scream that during games. Honestly I can't wait to come home and watch them play and get involved with that program again. But I do realize that it is their time not mine anymore and I am kinda excited to sit in the stands like a retired player and watch them and yell at the ref when they don't make a call. I also like to be there for emotional support for when the guys are confused about what to do. Maybe thats why I want to be a high school teacher/coach so much. I enjoy learning about history and put the same about of passion in it as I did for volleyball. It's kinda of weird this first year at college. I don't know what I want to do but yet again I do. Obviously it going to be a bitch finding a job and I tell myself now I would never teach at Providence or Brother Rice but who knows what the future has.

If anybody is left I applaud you on surviving. I got thrown too far off course. I thought I was in India but really I ended up in North America, bad history joke.

Thought of The Day: What the hell does the title mean? 

1 comment:

  1. I think "St. Rita Mustangs" would be a good name for your team.

    ReplyDelete