Saturday, February 7, 2009

Voodoo = Treasonous cowards

Ah that glorious time is back USA v mexico. This game as I have been telling the world is he most important game of my life. First game of the world cup qualifiers kicks off Wednesday, Feb 11 6 O'clock CT on ESPN2. The mexican squad is looking quite god to my eyes mainly because of suspensions and injuries. Walk it the park? Not a long shot. This rivalry is by far my favorite to watch in any sporting event. Both sides hate and I mean hate each other immensely. It basically turns into the love child of one dirty hockey team playing the "underdog" hockey team who fights back.  The game is always chippy and ends up with fans on either side being disappointed. 

Now, I had the chance to go home on wednesday night due to us having friday off and my thursday class being cancelled but I would have missed this game which I have been waiting for since the end of the Gold Cup (we beat mexico 2-1 in the final) Some questions arise who will start for the Nats? The only solid answer I Landon Donavon, CARLOS BOCANEGRA (chant), Gooch, and Timmy Howard. Bob Bradley uses a pool of players and it seems to be working well minus the fact that Jozy Altidore and Freddy Adu have been suffering in Europe which may limit their national team contributions. But I would love to see Jozy get the nod I know the young man is ready to play (18 yes 18 years old, What did you d when you were 18?) He scored his first ever goal against Mexico is a 2-2 tie (friendly) The big guy shows a ton of promise but Brian Ching is the same type of player, slower, not as quick and exciting to watch but great experience. So either way its a win-win mainly because our defense is good minus some set pieces and our mid is exciting with Bradley, Sacha, Demarcus, Adu, name more? Ok! Landon Donavon, Maurece Edu, Johnny Thorrington, Clint Dempsey. Ok enough of that.

But I had myself a little think and went on facebook/USA sights to see the roster (not out yet) and I found some bunk aboot, yes I said aboot, Mexico and blockbuster teaming up to make voodoo dools that resemble USA football (soccer) players. My first reaction was "Really?" but then I read on saying how  the back of the jersey reads "Gringos" Now, I really don't mind being called a gringo its no skin off my back but it is a racial slur so it crosses the line. However, the reason that I am pissed is because blockbuster gave me, my sport, and my country the big "Fuck you" I told myself I would never put another dollar into blockbuster as long as I live and let em know how I felt through an Email to the store. Come on a voodoo doll? Thats borderline crazy/pathetic. They are desperate the mexican fans are desperate they see their national team which is very strong with good players under achieving and seeing the only thing they had over the US slip into our favor, we own them in football. 

Another exciting thing about the match is that ussoccer.com is promoting the wear red campaign. They have cards you can print out that look pretty cool, and I anticipate a red third jersey. Sam's Army has always wore red even when the US stopped it as the national team jersey color but they want crew stadium to be filled with red. Just like when the Fire play there.....kil. I urge all of ye, my flock who reads, to watch the game. If you hate soccer give this game a chance you should become a fan, its gonna be cold, snowing/raining, players will be highly physical, the supporters are gonna be singing loud and proud and it may change your belief in this crazy thing called "soccer"

Thought of the Day: Where will you be watching the game, what red shirt will you wear, and what are your predictions? Who is your biggest rival (beside USA meixco)

Mine is possibly brether rice, or st. rita (killed em both)

No comments:

Post a Comment