Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama My Momma!

It seems kinda goofy for me not to talk about the inauguration today. So I will, today I woke up early to go to the evil bio lab then to hand in my insurance wavier form that Big Bill and Marion have been nagging me about. So I was in the office and I hear Obama speaking and was upset because I missed him being sworn in. Mullen and I made hast back across campus to a dinning center ate and caught the tail end of the speech. After the meal of watered down noodles (don't ask or pretend to know what it taste like) We hustled back I took off my jeans only to wear my blue long underwear from 4th grade (doesn't fit well but who cares)  and I watched the remainder of the ceremonies. Now, I love parades normally because the troops marching in perfect step, bands playing, and all the motorcycles and that junk. The first two I watched were the Bush ones where some knuckle heads hurled eggs at the leader of the free world. But this time it was different, seeing the Revolutionary War troops walk to the step of fife and drum kinda got me thinking about How cool it would be to be president, How awesome it must be to have that costume, and how "All men are created equal" were put into play. 

Of course after the Independence of the United States black and women weren't "equal" women I can understand not being equal (joke) but the slaves even those who fought the brits weren't equal in the eyes of the law. In fact they were not equal until the Civil Right era hundreds of years later.  So it was great to see our New President Obama getting a rock star like attention from all ages and races. I will not never understand how it feels to be African American from one of my earliest memories and saddest memories was lining up outside school for my kindergarden graduation. Only to see police cars and what not because of some j ass threw a brick into a black family's front window. I am personally proud of this moment. 

Well I was going to add this story a little earlier about my trip to disney world and how my love affair for the old fife and drum troops started but for those who got dragged to Epcot First I apologize, but I do remember trying to find a place to eat and my sisters and I didn't want to go to the ethnic restaurants mainly because we had no idea what kind of food was on the menus. So we picked the remake of the Independence Hall and had hotdogs and hamburgers. While we scarfed down the delicious yum yums I remember a small band of 6 guys playing the fife and drums and carrying the old "Don't Tread on Me" and the original 13 stars and stripes flag. It was really loud and possibly the coolest thing to hear Yankee Doodle Dandy being played instead of light jazz over a p.a system. Now, you are probably calling me a dork at this point so I am gonna watch the rest of the Neighborhood Ball hopefully I get to see that mick band called U2 or something perform.

Thought of the Day:  Who are ya?

2 comments:

  1. WHO ARE YA WHO ARE YA?

    seeing that mick band play? tell me more... j'wanta go to a concert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nephew.2 - you do realize that neice.1 is onlly eating MacDonalds while she is in italia, rite?

    ReplyDelete